Monday, February 3, 2014

Thing 3: Utilities

I downloaded the iHome Sleep app to explore.  I liked the "Wheel of Fortune" method of setting the alarm time.  In order to wake to music, you had to first have music downloaded (apparently wasn't part of app itself); same with the "calm sounds for sleep" (didn't see any preloaded).  I didn't like the idea of a company collecting data on me; suggest reading the privacy policies.  Also, I experimented with setting an alarm, then closed app, shut down iPad, and plugged it in to charge.  The alarm went off anyway, waking the whole house up at 5:30a.m.!!  Decided to delete that app and use the clock app I already had.  :)

I then downloaded Google Search.  The voice search is awesome!  I also tried the calendar and Google Goggles (the camera search recognized a book by subject/title and author!).  I wasn't sure how to access the weather...?  Is there a direct weather link or just go through search?  I checked out the book link and downloaded Google Play app and a free book.  The book covers of those downloaded show up when you later tap on the "Books" icon--easy way to remember what you have!  I also looked at the "finance" app and noticed it was a bad day for the stock market.  The filters at our school limit access to several of the functions and questionable privacy or data use policies prevented me from trying some.  Overall, I love the voice search (which would be great to use with the lower grades who may have limited spelling/typing abilities as well as with students who have visual impairments).  The books app will increase our eBook selections and/or access.  This is an incredibly useful "utility" to discover.  Thank you for leading us to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment