Sunday, April 13, 2014

23 Mobile Things: Thing 18

I tried several of the apps listed.  First was ColAR Mix which looks very engaging for students with iPads to see their work in 3D.  I couldn't print directly from my iPad at the time, so e-mailed the free docs to myself to open later and try it out.  Once I've had a chance to try it, I may integrate it into my elementary lessons.

Next, I loaded Duolingo, which is AWESOME!  I went through a few lessons in Spanish and German, and hope to teach myself some more of these languages over the summer (refreshers for one, all new for the other).  It's simply great that feedback is immediate, sound allows for proper pronunciation, and repetition helps it "stick".  I love it!

I loaded Google Earth, which I have accessed before on PC.  It's fun and interesting, but I will need some more time with it to make it truly useful for me.  Many students used to play around with this on the PCs during study halls, but I think the Tech Director may have blocked it as I haven't noticed anyone on it this year.

The Life app is great.  I looked at images of Vietnam in 1966, Marilyn Monroe, Dachau, 1969 fashions, and more.  This could be really neat as a supplement to Social Studies lessons.  Perhaps I can come up with a way to integrate it into my historical fiction genre lessons.

I loaded Ted for the music option, but ended up deleting it as it was not what I had expected or would likely use.

I loaded iTranslate only to be told I needed to download an updated version to get mic capability.  I then downloaded that and discovered the mic app requires a purchase!  😕  I did have fun translating phrases though and listening to how they should sound.  I may use this in conjunction with Duolingo to learn new languages.

I looked at iScript which I think I had before.  I couldn't get it to allow a problem with an "x" and a "y" (it kept changing the y to a number).  I found it too frustrating.

Lots of great options here.  Hope I get time later to spend more time with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment